Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Passing of a Great Man.



My Great-Uncle Bubba Bateman passed away yesterday, after a battle with Alzheimer's. He was 92 and lived a full life.

Everyone should have an Uncle Bubba. I was asked one time who I looked up to, who had an influence on me. I gave credit to my dad, but also mentioned what an influence Uncle Bubba had been.

Uncle Bubba never had kids, and that is a shame. So many of us saw him as a second father, an additional grandfather, and whatever we needed him to be. I can only imagine what a great father he would have been. While none of us know exactly what heaven holds for us, I can imagine Uncle Bubba finding my little boy up there and the two of them sharing time together the way he and I did here.

Bubba served in World War II, and will receive the honors that go with that at his burial on Friday.

And I will receive maybe the highest honor of my life, as he chose me to receive the flag draped over his coffin. Words can not describe my pride, and my humbleness at the same time. It will be forever displayed prominently, next to Cheri's Dad's flag.

God Bless You, Uncle Bubba.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

I am sorry for the loss of your great uncle. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Robyn said...

Thinking of you guys and praying for you!